[darcs-users] Repo via SSH

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Sat Jun 25 14:59:55 UTC 2005

On Jun 25, 2005, at 4:25 AM, David Roundy wrote:
> Not whole trees, but multiple files at once--this is much faster than
> multiple scps (or so I've been told).

Certainly multiple scps would take lots of time due to initiating
multiple ssh sessions.

However, you can transfer multiple files in scp command if they are
going into a direcotry.  Then scp turns out faster at 3/4 the time of
sftp!

#### SCP ####
[]: time scp -q devrat:dev/ContextFree/_darcs/patches/*.gz p-scp

real    0m18.606s
user    0m0.613s
sys     0m0.904s

#### SFTP ####
[]: time sftp devrat:dev/ContextFree/_darcs/patches/*.gz p-sftp > /
dev/null
Connecting to devrat...

real    0m24.749s
user    0m0.868s
sys     0m1.303s

I ran this several times and these times are representative.  (For
the curious, the test data set was 5.8 megabytes in 354 patches from
a real darcs repo.)

Of course, I'm not sure I know the efficacy of doing this, since
command lines are usually limited in length....

     - Mark