[darcs-users] bug in handling of DARCS_EDITOR and friends

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Tue Jun 28 17:09:18 UTC 2005

The symptom is this:  I set EDITOR to more than a single word:

     export EDITOR="see -w"

In this case, I want to invoke the visual SubEthaEdit editor with the
"wait for it" flag that causes the edit window to act like an modal
edit process (like invoking vi or emacs would).

The problem is that edit_file and view_file (both in
DarcsArguments.lhs) both assume that the value of the environment
variable is just the name of the executable, and doesn't contain any
possible additional leading arguments.

The probable fix would be to change the semantic to exec_interactive
(in Exec.lhs) and allow it to split off the extra arguments, if any,
from the ostensible "arg0".  Alas, my Haskell skills to not extend to
actually writing a fix!

This bug appeared in 1.0.3, since it worked in 1.0.2.  While I can
fix this by writing a little shell script, ~/bin/see-w, this is a
common enough idiom that I would think it warranted support.

     - Mark