[darcs-users] File permissions, ACLs etc

Kimmo Kansanen kmo at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Mar 1 09:30:33 UTC 2005

Dear all,

David Roundy encouraged me to mail my thoughts to the list.
I read a mail exchange from last year:

  http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-April/001655.html

where there seemes to be a desire for better support of file permissions
and the sort, including maybe ACLs. I agree this would be good for e.g.
storing /etc or similar jobs.

The (small) idea that came to me was that one could really do the
file permission/ACL checking and setting externally from darcs,
but if darcs supported hooks for push/pull/get etc, it would become
easier (more automated). The file attributes could be stored into a
regular dotfile, for instance, which would be versioned by darcs, naturally.

There, my 2cents,

Kimmo
--
Kimmo Kansanen