[darcs-users] Re: how do I share patches with SVN users?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Mar 1 13:13:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:06:46PM -0500, Max Battcher wrote:
> Mark Stosberg wrote:
> >Implementing this might have it's own problems, as it could be difficult
> >or time consuming to figure out which patches should be converted
> >to 'diff -u' to test against.
>
> What about the possibility of getting the SVN/CVS/et al repos to agree
> to some sort of naming convention in the changelogs?  Perhaps something
> like asking for the end of the first/last line of the changelog to
> include the original DARCS author and datetime?

Something like this is what I'd recommend.  I'd suggest considering an
approach in thich darcs is subservient to subversion, as this would be
easier than a symmetric approach.

If the svn developer were to include in his changeset descriptions the IDs
of any darcs patches that he applied (which might be automated, if the
patches were generated with darcs diff, which includes some ID
information), then the svn -> darcs conversion tool could look for these
IDs when it goes to do the conversion.  If it finds one, it could then pull
the darcs patches from a reference darcs repository prior to updating to
the svn revision.  The catch is that you'd like to be able to pull the
darcs patches without applying them to the working directory, since you
want the final result to be equivalent to the svn state after the
changeset.

I'm afraid I'm being overly vague.  If that's the case, someone say
something.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net