[darcs-users] first impressions on a 'darcs send' to a special email address workflow

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Mar 3 13:30:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:19:24PM -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
> I've just configured my system to pipe mail for a user into darcs apply,
> and I'm using the --reply option set to my email address. Here are a few
> confusions and troubles I encountered along the way.
>
> It was a bit of a pain to configure everything, especially the MTA, but
> this is a fair price to pay. I like the ability to run the tests on the
> server, but I would have much prefered to run them on the server with
> just "darcs push".

Note that you can run the tests when doing darcs push, the catch of course
is that it doesn't return until they finish, which can be a pain.  At work,
our test suite takes a couple of hours...

> So, I guess the patches stored in the repo can be compressed. That's
> good, but I was rather suprised because I was expecting an option to
> compress the patches sent over email.

Hmmmm.  That would be a reasonable option...

> I'm not entirely sure how the --reply option behaves in all cases. The
> manual in the 'best practices' says this:
>
>     The third line [apply happy-forwarding] makes darcs not complain
>     about unsigned patches, but just to forward them to darcs-devel.
>
> I'm not sure why they get forwarded to darcs-devel. The docs indicate
> that the 'reply' option specifies the "from" address for replies. But it
> also seems if an apply fails, either because of --verify is used, or the
> tests fail, that the patch is instead sent to the reply address?
>
> I discovered through experimentation what happy-forwarding does; I found
> the documentation insufficient.

Documentation patches are always welcome.
http://www.darcs.net