[darcs-users] sending notices when a repo changes

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Mar 3 13:55:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:04:48PM +0000, Pedro Melo wrote:
> On 3/mar/2005, at 04:37, Phil Frost wrote:
>
> >I would like to write one, but I am not sure how to best do it. The
> >first problem is I know of no way to run a command when the repo has
> >changed. Because I always modify my repo with 'darcs send' to a pipe
> >delivery, I could run the program there, but this is not a good
> >solution
> >for people that have not configured darcs like this.
>
> What you want is hooks. It would be great.
>
> I don't know if they are planned or not.

They are indeed planned.  It just requires someone taking the time to
actually implement them.  They won't even be hard, it just requires adding
a --post-hook flag to all darcs commands, and then you'd set it in your
defaults.

There's even a wishlist bug on the subject...

> [...] In the meantime, you might get away with a fake test script. Just
> ping your notification server from that script.
>
> Should work. I'm setting up something like that, I that's how I plan to
> do it eventualy (I need similar things).

Indeed, that should work fine, although it's a tad ugly.  Hooks will be
nicer, since they'd be run in the actual repository.
http://www.darcs.net