[darcs-users] Re: first impressions on a 'darcs send' to a special email address workflow

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 3 19:10:41 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 15:18, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-03-03, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:19:24PM -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
> >> I've just configured my system to pipe mail for a user into darcs
> >> apply, and I'm using the --reply option set to my email address. Here
> >> are a few confusions and troubles I encountered along the way.
> >>
> >> It was a bit of a pain to configure everything, especially the MTA,
> >> but this is a fair price to pay. I like the ability to run the tests
> >> on the server, but I would have much prefered to run them on the
> >> server with just "darcs push".
> >
> > Note that you can run the tests when doing darcs push
>
> Can you have the best both worlds: Push the patches, but get an e-mail
> with a result after the tests have run?

That hardly ever makes sense; if you want to do post-commit testing (i.e.
don't revert the changes if the tests fail) simply setup your server to do
nightly test runs.
With your suggestion you have to assume that the person who pushed the patch
will read the email and unrecord/amend the local patch and not just push it
again.  That just does not give you a very good workflow IMO.

--
Thomas Zander