[darcs-users] Re: A couple of pre-newbie questions

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 5 21:15:53 UTC 2005

Thanks for your most helpful answers!

[Tommy Pettersson <ptp at lysator.liu.se>, Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:35:00 +0100]:
> (I wrote some of this reply before Mark replied, so I might
> be repeating some of his answers.)

Well, all the better for me - I still have to wrap my brain around
some of the concepts.

[Conflicts:]
> When a conflict happens, darcs will insert both versions
> of conflicting lines in the file, with conflict markers
> around them.  To resolve the conflict, just edit the file
> to what it really should look like and record.  The record
> will result in a patch that tells darcs what these lines
> should look like, regardless of what any previous patches
> (conflicting or not) says.

But that, I suppose, does not happen with binary files, does it?

Conflict markers are something like vvvvv and ^^^^ lines, I think; is
there some way of customizing those?

> And I thought I was the only one on earth who used noweb...  :-)

Well, maybe there are correlations between the exotic tools people
use...

[Carrying floppies:]
> You could instead carry context files and patch files.
> Before you leave home you 'darcs send' against the latest work
> context file to a patch file and also generate (darcs changes
> --context) a fresh home context file.  Bring those two files to
> work.  At work you apply the patch file and continue working.
> At closing time, 'darcs send' against the latest home context
> file (you brought with you) to a new patch file and generate a
> fresh work context file.  Bring them home and repeat the cycle.

- A context is basically a list of applied patches?  Or is that an
  inventory?  Is there a difference between those two?

- Is it correct that that method would create additional records
  (i. e. I would have to record the current state of affairs before
  `darcs send`)?  In that case I would only carry around files that
  actually changed (in the form of patches - in my current setup, even
  generated files are copied to floppy), which is a big plus, but it
  would create additional patches that result only from my going from
  one place to another, which is something I would like to avoid.  So
  I would then have to `combine' all those patches again as described
  in your earlier mail.

> > As you can see, many questions.
>
> And good questions too.  I'll try to put some answers to them
> in the manual.

That would be a good idea - I did read it before asking, but a number
of things were still not clear.

Thanks again,

Albert.