[darcs-users] Re: A couple of pre-newbie questions

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Mar 6 07:26:18 UTC 2005

On Saturday 05 March 2005 22:00, Albert Reiner wrote:
> > I'll have to let someone else answer that. In my experiments with token
> > replace it  never worked as I expected, and I used find and
> > replace instead, which worked fine.
>
> I see; what are the problems?  Some googling found:
>
> - conflicts are not marked for conflicting involving token replacements
> - replacements persist even when pulling from another repository
> Anything else?

I find the concept of 'token' to limiting.  The other day I replaced an
ill-named method 'get' to 'getType only to find out that I defined the
method ones and in the same file I used another method named 'get' as well.
So I figured the token was to short and I tried "String get" and
"get(String" so I would only have the definition.
Unfortunately the ( and the space both rendered my token illegal so I was
forced to record the change as a hunk.

In the end I rarely use the replace patch since its so specific.  It would
be a whole lot better if I could mark a section of a file where I wanted to
do the replace (one method for example).
--
Thomas Zander