[darcs-users] Option to set where darcs push searches remote darcs command

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Mon Mar 7 17:30:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 07 March 2005 14:53, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:37:39PM +0100, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> > I append a patch to darcs that implements an option
> > "--executable-location".
>
> I'm a little concerned that this flag will unnecesarily clutter up
> the interface.  What do other people think on this? I'm hesitant to
> add a flag to handle a (possibly rare?) circumstance in which there
> might be other workarounds.  I'm not strongly opposed, but I'm
> hesitant to add flags without some discussion.  It's not nearly so
> serious as adding new commands, but still, it's best to avoid
> unnecessary flags.
>
> Anyhow, I think I'll wait another week, and if noone objects, I'll
> assume this change meets with general darcs-devel approval.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm trying to sneak something
in...  This option was already discussed some time ago, and the
consensus was (unfortunately) against this option.  The consensus was,
if I recall correctly, for a per-repository configuration option.
However, that was apparently never implemented, and since I already had
the patch, I just sent it again, because it would solve the problem
that started this thread.

> And perhaps the flag should be --remote-darcs-location, or
> --remote-executable-location?

I changed it to "--remote-darcs-location".

> > hunk ./Push.lhs 89
> > +      darcs_cmd = maybe "darcs" id $ exec_loc opts
> >
> > hunk ./Push.lhs 152
> > +exec_loc :: [DarcsFlag] -> Maybe String
> > +exec_loc (ExecutableLocation darcs_cmd:_) = Just darcs_cmd
> > +exec_loc (_:fs) = exec_loc fs
> > +exec_loc [] = Nothing
>
> I think it would be easier to understand if we had
>
> exec_loc :: [DarcsFlag] -> String
>
> and exec_loc itself returned "darcs" if there's no flag.

I agree.  Done.

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/