[darcs-users] Re: a bash tip for easily excluding the _darcs directory

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Wed Mar 9 19:48:29 UTC 2005

Philipp Kern <pkern at debian.org> writes:

> Please consult xargs(1) for more information.

Yes, I did read the man page before posting, and only wrote because I
found the description somewhat ambiguous. I've used xargs and knew why
I was using it, but reading the man page made me doubt my long-held
assumptions.

,----
| xargs reads items from the standard input, delimited by blanks (which
| can be protected with double or single quotes or a backslash) or
| newlines, and executes the command (default is /bin/echo) one or more
| times with any initial-arguments followed by items read from standard
| input.
`----

Note how it mentions running the command "one or more times." I now
see that the command can run more than once as a consequence of the
--max-args and --max-chars arguments. That's a nice design.

--
Steven E. Harris