[darcs-users] pull --external-merge does not expand parameters

STIEN Malte Malte_Stien at rta.nsw.gov.au
Thu Mar 10 03:30:36 UTC 2005

Folks,

I am using darcs 1.0.2 under cygwin under Windows 2000 and I am currently trying to get darcs to call TortoiseMerge if a conflict arises during a merge. In the darcs manual, on page 37, it explains that this is easily done by providing the --external-merge option to the pull command. The option is to contain some parameters (%1, %2, %a and %o) that are meant to be expanded by darcs with the filenames of the files to be merged, the common ancestor of those files as well as the output files.

I validated this on a Linux machine and it works fine. However, it does not work under cygwin on my Windows 2000 machine. The parameters do not get expanded at all. Here is what happens:

$ darcs pull --external-merge 'D:/Temp/TortoiseMerge.exe /base:%a /theirs:%1 /yours:%2 /merged:%o' ../dbn
Pulling from "../dbn"...

Thu Mar 10 12:28:54 AUS Eastern Daylight Time 2005  malte_stien at rta.nsw.gov.au
  * Tenth line added in dbn
Shall I pull this patch? (1/1) [ynWvxqadjk], or ? for help:
We have conflicts in the following files:
./dfdf.c
Merging file ./dfdf.c by hand.
Running command 'D:/Temp/TortoiseMerge.exe /base:%a /theirs:%1 /yours:%2 /merged:%o'
Hit return to move on...
Finished pulling.

As you can see, darcs calls the third party merging tool, TortoiseMerge in this case, but does not expand the parameters. TortoiseMerge then tries to open the files %1, %2, %a and %o, which of course fails.

Any help on that?

Regards,
Malte.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment to it are intended only to be read or used by the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistaken transmission to you. The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to this e-mail or attachment to it. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the RTA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.