[darcs-users] How to save disk space (was: Re: Issues with darcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Mar 11 15:15:59 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-11, Baruch Even <baruch at ev-en.org> wrote:

> The problem I now have is disk space usage, each branch takes 500MB of
> disk space. I've seen that there is an option to work without the recent
> copy, but it can't be changed after the initial checkout, I'd like to be
> able to change this in the middle because I am working now on the
> performance patches and don't need the disk space waste on the htcp
> patches, but will need to get back to the htcp stuff later on.

It sounds like 'darcs optimize' could help you.

$ cd branch_dir
$ darcs optimize --relink --sibling=../other_copy

I think this will hardlink the patches in one branch, saving some disk
space.

Creating your branches without a pristine tree would also help, but that
has to be done at creation time:

darcs get --no-pristine-tree ../other_copy branch_copy

I'm not actually using these features myself, but am just aware they
exist.

They are both fairly new.

    Mark