[darcs-users] idea: darcs record multi-patch mode

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Mar 12 14:54:35 UTC 2005

Here's a common workflow I have, and "screenshot" of a way in which
darcs could help with it.

As I'm working on code, I notice some missing documentation for a bit
that is otherwise finished. Once I finish my new work, I now have two
tasks I want to record separately: The added documentation and the new
code.

It would be nice if darcs allowed me to call 'record' one, and end up
with multiple patches.

Here's a 'screenshot' of what I think it could look like. I've made it
part of the standard process in this example. However, it could easily
be optional by using a new flag like "p for patch name" to enter the
mode:

 $ darcs record
 addfile ./2.t
 Shall I record this patch? (1/2) [ynWsfqadjk], or ? for help: y
 What is the patch name? First patch
 Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
 move ./2.t ./3.t
 Shall I record this patch? (2/2)
  0.) Create New Patch
  1.) Add to: 'First Patch'
 Choice? [01ynWsfqadjk], or ? for help: 1
 What is the patch name? Second Patch
 Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
 Finished recording patches:
  'First Patch'
  'Second Patch'

###

This process does move the creating of the patch name ande long comment
as earlier as possible. Recording the long comments could be moved to
the end of the process, allowing the user to reflect on every change in
the patch before they describe in detail.

I would find this process to be really efficient. What do others think?

Another note about the above design: It has the built in limitation of
recording no more than 10 patches at one time, which I think is fine!

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/