[darcs-users] idea: darcs record multi-patch mode

Julian Snitow jsnitow at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 20:20:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:54:35 +0000 (UTC), Mark Stosberg
<mark at summersault.com> wrote:
> Here's a 'screenshot' of what I think it could look like. I've made it
> part of the standard process in this example. However, it could easily
> be optional by using a new flag like "p for patch name" to enter the
> mode:
>
>  $ darcs record
>  addfile ./2.t
>  Shall I record this patch? (1/2) [ynWsfqadjk], or ? for help: y
>  What is the patch name? First patch
>  Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
>  move ./2.t ./3.t
>  Shall I record this patch? (2/2)
>   0.) Create New Patch
>   1.) Add to: 'First Patch'

Why does this "Shall I record" prompt not have the letter menu?
Adding another letter [ynWsfqadjkD]  to mean "Record to a Different
patch", would be better. (And avoid hiding the menu from the users who
don't want to create a new patch).

For example, if you had already split 4 of 5 `patchlets' into 3
Patches, it would look something like:

Shall I record this patch? (5/5) [ynWsfqadjkD], or ? for help: D
Which patch shall I write to? [0-2], or c to create a new one:

Of course, even this might be too much, but at least it doesn't take
over the whole UI for the sake of one feature.

I started using Darcs because I instantly recognized it as the gold
standard of usability for version control systems. I'd be sad to see
things like ballooning, inconsistant UIs and arbitrary limitations mar
the interface's damn-near-perfection.

Julian