[darcs-users] Warning before adding huge file?

Andrew Wagner awagner at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 13 06:30:40 UTC 2005

I just had a patch record that made my G5 crank for a whole minute.
The patch added files, moved a couple other files, and re-named a
directory with a few files in it.  No file merging.  This included one
three hundred meg file, all of the others were only a couple megs each,
and maybe ten of them.

What is the most likely cause of this?

Maybe large files not being added as binary?  Could darcs warn the user
if a file larger than, say, ten megs is not being added as binary?  I
tried to make sure all of the files were covered in the "binaries"
preferences file, but perhaps I missed one...  The huge file was a
.tar.gz archive, so it should definitely be binary.

Should I not be using darcs for a photo library that may eventually be
more than a gig in size?  I think I remember seeing a very old post
where some guy recommended not going above a few hundred megs in a
repository...

Also, the darcs process is not run at higher priority than normal under
os x, is it?  OS X usually remains very responsive no matter how hard a
process is trying to misbehave, but this completely locked up even the
window server.

Darcs has been working like a dream for all of my source code files;
I'll be using it even if I have to find something else for all of my
non-text files.

Thanks,
Drew

Drew Wagner