[darcs-users] idea: darcs record multi-patch mode

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Mar 13 14:08:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 02:54:35PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Here's a common workflow I have, and "screenshot" of a way in which
> darcs could help with it.
>
> As I'm working on code, I notice some missing documentation for a bit
> that is otherwise finished. Once I finish my new work, I now have two
> tasks I want to record separately: The added documentation and the new
> code.
>
> It would be nice if darcs allowed me to call 'record' one, and end up
> with multiple patches.

I know I also often have had this sort of workflow (especially at work, and
when coding together with a student).  I think that... I've forgotten who's
suggestion of adding something like a 'd' for "record to different patch"
would alleviate the complexity issues... although 'd' is already taken for
"done".

On the implementation side, this could be challenging.  The patch selection
interface uses a backend (PatchChoices) that's based on a split of the
patches into three groups: "yes", "no" and "maybe".  It's certainly
possible to split into N groups, but it's not trivial.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net