[darcs-users] Re: darcs - Problem with MacOS X HFS+ File System

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Mar 14 13:37:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:15:31AM +0100, Markus Hanauska wrote:

> On 05. Mrz 2005, at 15:20 Uhr, David Roundy wrote:
>
> >I see it! It's the careful_atomic_create in compat.c, which really is
> >only needed for lock-grabbing, but we use anyways when we create a file.
> >This function does some hard-link trickery to ensure that even over NFS
> >two darcs instances can't accidentally both grab _darcs/lock.
> >
> >If you run with the environment variable DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS=1, there's
> >no problem (at least in my simple tests involving xcode)! :) If only
> >Juliusz were a mac person, I bet he would have been reading this and
> >would have thought of this ages ago.  (It seems like he's always telling
> >people to try running with DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS... he wrote the locking
> >code.)
> >
> >I think the best solution is to introduce a takeSloppyLock (perhaps
> >called something like withNewFile or something) in Lock.lhs, which we
> >can use when we don't want real locking.  It'll probably be a tad
> >faster, and will avoid the complicated lock code when we don't actually
> >want locking behavior.
> >
> >The other alternative that comes to mind would be to avoid the careful
> >locking code entirely on the mac.  That seems to me like a worse
> >solution.
> >
> >In the meantime, you can just define DARCS_SLOPPY_LOCKS in your .bashrc
> >(or whatever) which should fix the problem.
>
> Cool, when can we expect that to be fixed? Should this mail be
> forwarded to the dev-list? Are the right people now aware of the
> problem, so we can expect it to be fixed in a 1.0.3 release? Or maybe
> is there a 1.1 release planed? I mean what's the next step to a final
> solution? The work-a-round is nice, but we can't always guarantee that
> people have made these changes to their bashrc file.

The fix is now in the darcs tree, so it'll be in darcs 1.0.3 when that is
released.  There are now two nontrivial bugs (that come to mind) fixed
since 1.0.2, so we really should put out a release.  However, I will be
rather busy for the next couple of weeks (the March Meeting of the APS is
coming up), so don't expect a release candidate soon.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net