[darcs-users] darcs pushes whole repo - problem

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Mar 16 12:59:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:24:19PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> Yesterday while working on a web site I've noticed a problem while
> trying to push latest patches from working-dir-repo into
> main-repo.
>
> There were only few patches, but darcs pushed the whole repo making
> main-repo corrupted.
>
> Being busy, I just removed main-repo ('cause working-dir repo was get-ed
> with the whole history :-) and then just get-ed the repo back into
> main-repo from working-dir-repo.
>
> Today, I also noticed that 'darcs push --dry-run -v' listed the whole
> history.
>
> What could be the reason for such behaviour?

This sounds very weird.  It looks like you've got some sort of corruption
of a sort that I haven't seen before.  Might you have gotten two patches
with identical patch IDs somehow? Or perhaps two tags? I'm guessing in the
dark here, because I can't really imagine what could cause the symptoms you
describe.

What happens if you do a pull --dry-run rather than a push? You ought to
get the same answer, but since it looks sort of like an error reading the
inventory, perhaps pull will behave differently.

Could I take a look at these repositories? It may be that tarball form will
be necesary, if they're corrupt (as seems likely to be the case).

Also, is this a local push? I guess so, from below...

Is this on any sort of a weird filesystem (e.g. nfs) that might affect
results? As I say, I'm shooting in the dark here...

> I also noticed that my main-repo have two 'almost' same entries for
> repos, i.e:
>
> gour  ~/projects/www/jyotish/head/_darcs/prefs $ cat repos
> /home/gour/repos/www/jyotish/head
> /home/gour/repos/www/jyotish/head/
>
> gour  ~/projects/www/jyotish/head/_darcs/prefs $ cat defaultrepo
> /home/gour/repos/www/jyotish/head
>
> I'm interested how did the 2nd entry (with the slash at the end) entered
> as a repo and what (if any) consequences it might have in a problem I
> have with pushing into main-repo?

This shouldn't be a problem.  The trailing slash is harmless, and probably
just comes from tab completion.  Darcs ought to be smart enough not to add
that in as a separate repository, but apparently it isn't.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net