[darcs-users] speeding up darcs pull / docs for 'pull', 'tag' and 'optimize'

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Mar 16 13:46:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:06:02PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I 'pull' I do over ssh is getting slower, which I think is due to the
> size of the history.
>
> I checked the docs for 'pull',  'tag', and 'optimize', and none of them
> addressed this case, although I suspect there is a standard solution.
> Both 'tag' and 'optimize' refer to checkpoints as being primarily useful
> with running 'get --partial' or 'check --partial'.
>
> My suspicion is that there is some missing documentation on how to use
> tags to improve the performance of pull. So if someone can explain
> what's missing, I could see about working into the documentation, unless
> you want to do that directly as well. :)

This is handled by darcs optimize with no arguments, which just breaks the
inventory file up so you don't need to download the entire thing.  This'll
only work, though, if you have tagged the repository, and if your tags are
"in order"--which usually isn't a problem.  You can `ls -lh
_darcs/inventory` before and after to get an idea what's happening.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net