[darcs-users] argh. please change the name "unpull"

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 21:03:23 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 20:07, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> I just spent 5 minutes talking past my boss about unpulling a patch.
> He wanted to know, if I was unpulling the patch from the server, where
> was I unpulling it from?  I kept trying to explain that I was going to
> ssh into the server to do this operation.  Finally I realized why he
> was confused.  I said "The thing is, this operation shouldn't be named
> 'unpull'.  It should be named 'erase'.".  There was a couple of seconds
> of silence.  "Oh.", he said.
>
> So please change the name and let all future programmers save 5 minutes
> of their time explaining to their co-workers that "unpull" doesn't
> involve two different repos the way "pull" does.

Another option is to explain the reasoning behind the naming; it is to undo
the pulling.
you can purchase an item from the store, and doing the opposite to that item
is to "throw it away/return it/erase it".
There is no need to explicitly go to the store to 'un-purchace' an item,
just toss it in the trash.  In fact; its considered silly if you want to go
back to the store to tell him you are throwing the item away...

Or more abstract;  the opposite of "getting an item from someone" is
"getting rid of an item".    No need to "Finding someone to burden with the
item I want to get rid of".

Just think about it, it actually makes sense :)
--
Thomas Zander