[darcs-users] argh. please change the name "unpull"

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 21:24:51 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 22:11, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> > Another option is to explain the reasoning behind the naming; it is to
> > undo the pulling.
>
> This might persuade my boss that "unpull" is a good name, but it won't
> give me my five minutes back.  Also it would take up more of my
> minutes.  ;-)
>
> Seriously, the name "unpull" wastes people's 5-minutes.  That's
> sufficient reason to change it, even if it is a good name once you've
> understood it.

In real live more people find out _how_ to do things by searching for the
right command then the thing you explained here; which is to explain _why_
a certain command is named as it is.

I certainly believe we should optimise for the finding of the right command
first.  And UnPull being the opposite of Pull in actual usage makes me feel
it really is the best name.  Erase is not what I would pick from a list of
items if I wanted to undo a pull action.

--
Thomas Zander