[darcs-users] Re: argh. please change the name "unpull"

Jamie Webb j at jmawebb.cjb.net
Thu Mar 17 23:02:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 10:17:06PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> In all cases the patch is applied with 'apply' at some point, which is
> why  I think I'm leaving my vote on 'unapply'.

AOL, I think, as an improvement on unpull, but I do wonder if
something more dramatic and scary sounding might be an idea, since you
can lose data. Destroy; eradicate; annihilate... sounds corny, but
quite unequivocal.

That, or maybe as I think someone else suggested a while back,
unpulled patches should be put 'on ice' somewhere. Not in a repository
where you have to worry about conflicts, just somewhere from which
they can be resurrected if necessary. And somewhere from which a user
can once and for all delete them manually if absolutely sure.

I know the current name is supposed to suggest that you should only
unpull patches that you've previously pulled, but it seems like that,
aside from the confusion, gives an unwarranted illusion of safety.

-- Jamie Webb