[darcs-users] Re: argh. please change the name "unpull"

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Fri Mar 18 00:36:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:03:19AM +0200, Yuval Kogman wrote:
> These seem to imply a globality. While it is a technical
> impossibility and should be known as such, if you 'destroy' or
> 'annihilate' or 'obliterate' a patch, it sounds like you are
> completely removing every trace. I think this concept only works in
> central VCSs.

Yes, good point.  But they are funny.  :-)  I like the way
darcs have friendly and sort of cute command names, like 'get',
'pull', 'record', 'whatsnew'.  Not the military style like
'check in', 'check out', 'update', 'status' in CVS.

I like the name 'unpull' as it is, and I think it serves its
purpose very well.  I don't think the problem in this case is
with the user interface to darcs.  It's the use of a "darcs
term" in natural language.  To say to someone (not a darcs
user): "I'm gonna unpull this", doesn't make sense to them.
That's it, and it's perfectly normal.