[darcs-users] Re: argh. please change the name "unpull"

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Fri Mar 18 09:24:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I just read through this thread and:
>
> - I am a darcs n00b which is good in this respect. :)
>
> - "unapply" sounds like it will somehow only affect the file tree (given
> a n00b that easily thinks of the filetree instead of that list of
> patches). This is also a problem with "apply" since it leads a n00b to
> thinking in regular terms - with old tools you also "apply" a good ol
> patch, but that doesn't "add" the patch or anything, it just "applies"
> it. I know these arguments are based on misconceptions of the n00b, but
> I think they are still valid.
>
> - That leaves "erase", "forget" and "discard" of those I read.
>
> Of these three "forget" seems a bit vague to me and doesn't necessarily
> imply that stuff is indeed deleted. I think I would prefer "discard" or
> "delete", both those imply clearly that, hey, things are getting toasted
> here. :)

And is it really intuitive to you that after wrong usage of `pull' you
should use `delete' especially when you know that for wrong usage of
`record' you can use `unrecord' ?
My main worry is about how to keep darcs to be so easy (read intuitive)
for use in comparison with other SCMs...

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com