[darcs-users] Re: argh. please change the name "unpull" (And what color to paint the bike shed)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Mar 18 14:55:37 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-18, Karel Gardas <kgardas at objectsecurity.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
>
>> I like the name 'unpull' as it is, and I think it serves its
>> purpose very well.  I don't think the problem in this case is
>> with the user interface to darcs.  It's the use of a "darcs
>> term" in natural language.  To say to someone (not a darcs
>> user): "I'm gonna unpull this", doesn't make sense to them.
>> That's it, and it's perfectly normal.
>
> Agree. Also I think majority of users will use pull by hand and apply by
> automatic scripts which leads to finding for some oposite command to pull
> when we like to revert pull results and so unpull seems to be natural
> solution. IMHO hardly any user will find unapply to be oposite to pull.

In the common case, neither 'apply' or 'unpull' or used very much.

If you use 'pull', you might think you understand 'unpull' and guess
incorrectly (or be confused), because it doesn't involve a second repo.
It's not symmetric.

If you find 'apply' or 'unapply' and guess what the opposite does, you
will generally be correct, because they are symmetric.

And I would prefer the bike shed be painted 'blue', thank you very much.

  http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml

    Mark