[darcs-users] Re: argh. please change the name "unpull"

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Mar 19 07:48:52 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 23:07, Quag wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:55:46 +0100, Ivan Stankovic
>
> <pokemon at fly.srk.fer.hr> wrote:
> > Yes, "drop" seems nice, especially if you consider how often it is used
> > in expressions like "dropping a patch". If the name has to be changed
> > (though I don't have anything against unpull), I'd go for "drop".
>
> Yup, "drop" is good. Any objections?

David wrote this some time ago [1]
> Since unpull is perfectly safe when used on pulled patches, I'd rather
> give it a nice unscary name that reflects that, rather than a scary name.
> In my experience it's very rare that I unpull a patch that wasn't gotten
> either by a pull or an apply (and usually it's a pull).

The objection I have against 'drop' is that unpull shows a workflow and drop
shows the function.  Darcs works because its workflow optimized, tla does
not work because its just a bunch of functions the user has to find out how
to best put in a workflow.  (which is the unix way)

Next to that; 5 minutes explaining to your boss what unpull means (what was
he doing with darcs anyway?) , or your friend not finding unpull because he
uses apply all the time by hand (quite rare situation!) are IMO simply not
reasons to rename something hundreds of people have already gotten used to.

1) http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-May/001764.html
--
Thomas Zander