[darcs-users] the readability of darcs native change format (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Mar 20 03:27:25 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-20, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm also keeping note of what I hate about darcs
> http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/SchwernHatesDarcs

re: the hard-to-read native format. Have you tried looking at
patches with 'darcs diff -p patch_name'?  It uses the Real diff
program in the binary.

I understand this much about the technical details of the darcs patch
format:

 - It saves disk space by not storing context in the patches.
 - Consequently, there can be a performance penalty for constructing
   the context to display it, since it's not in the patch.

Personally, sometimes I like the lack of context because it's compact.
If I'm reviewing patches during 'record', I might have the context in my
head, and don't need to to take up screen real estate right then.

Other times I would like to have that context, and would just assume
that darcs used more disk space and gave me better performance.

In unrelated news, I should have something releasable as 'alpha' of a
darcs performance testing script soon.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/