[darcs-users] should we support .darcs too? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Mar 20 03:57:41 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-20, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:

>  _darcs gets in the way. Repo meta files should be hidden. Should be .darcs or both allowed.

Aren't the problems with directory names starting with dots on some OSes? maybe
Windows?

I wonder how much effort would be involved in updating all the docs and code to
support ".darcs" as well. Except... ".darcs" is used for preferences
now, so there could be other problems.

I find this to be only a minor annoyance. It's easy to exclude with

grep -R token !(_darcs)

or

whatever | grep -v _darcs

As someone who helps with the documentation, I appreciate I don't have
juggle disclaimers like "Oh, wherever you see ".darcs", realize that we
really mean "_darcs" if you are on Windows.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/