[darcs-users] Re: Can I disable \xx quoting in record --interactive?

Junio C Hamano junkio at cox.net
Sun Mar 20 06:00:47 UTC 2005

TP> On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 05:42:59PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Is there a way to disable hexadecimal \xx quoting when "darcs
>> record" shows each hunk for selection?  Some files I maintain
>> in my darcs repository are in EUC-JP encoding, which contains

TP> No (probably not).  Darcs escapes all non-ascii to protect
TP> from evil patches that spoof the terminal by inserting
TP> control characters.

What evil patches?  My question is about "darcs record" showing
*my* *own* changes in *my* working directory to *me* letting *me* pick
and choose hunks to record (and not to record).  There is no
point in, nor excuse for, munging the perfectly human readable
strings in the hunks in this situation, only because darcs does
not know what happens when these bytes are sent to the terminal.

The user who typed "darcs record" knows a lot better then the
tool (and that's why he is doing interactive record).  Those
characters are readable when sent to the terminal, thank you, if
the hexadecimal quoting did not happen.