[darcs-users] the readability of darcs native change format (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Mar 20 09:08:09 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:22, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:27:25AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > On 2005-03-20, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:
> > > I'm also keeping note of what I hate about darcs
> > > http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/SchwernHatesDarcs
> >
> > re: the hard-to-read native format. Have you tried looking at
> > patches with 'darcs diff -p patch_name'?  It uses the Real diff
> > program in the binary.
>
> The native darcs format is ingrained into darcs.  For example, when doing
> a darcs record hunks are presented in the native format.  So while having
> "darcs diff" is nice, it doesn't solve the problem. :(

Ehm; the problem is that YOU don't like a certain format. So use an option
to let darcs show you another format.  Sounds like a good idea to me..
I get the feeling that you want darcs defaults to change for you.  Thats not
really nice for people who like the current format better, is it?

> However, once again, this is not a case of either/or.  The display format
> for patches/diffs can be configurable in ~/.darcsrc or wherever the
> global user config file lives.  I like "diff -u" style so I'd set it to
> that. If you like darcs' format set it to that.  Everyone's happy.

Read the reply I wrote on your wiki page. You can duplicate said option for
all commands if you like.

--
Thomas Zander