[darcs-users] should 'changes' be renamed 'log'? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Mar 20 11:41:03 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 10:45, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:13:43AM +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> An alias is not adding a command, its just an additional name for the
> same command.  You can omit them from the help lists if you like to avoid
> the extra clutter.

In your last email you quoted Donald with the "knowledge in the world".  Now
you want to walk away from that?

> Looking through the list for the command I want, that's only useful if
> I'm thinking the same way you are.  As mentioned with "change" vs "log"
> I've been trained to look for "log" from CVS/SVN usage thus it took me a
> while to notice the "changes" command is what I want.

The overview of commands needs some love, thats true; also every new tool
takes some time to learn.  Fooling our users into believing its a drop in
replacement for cvs/svn is certainly going against everything a usability
person should be aware about..  Imagine: "The commands are the same, but it
does different things!"

The defaults were picked with great care and with good argumentation, if you
feel you need to add some information which makes the darcs team re-view
the choices and names, it woul be wise to provide arguments based on facts.
Are you really sure your arguments are carried by anything other then your
opinions?  If so, forgive me, but I fail to find them in your emails.

--
Thomas Zander