[darcs-users] darcs annotate format obscures the code

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Sun Mar 20 14:58:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 01:58:50PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 12:33:21PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > and b) any new patches will just get higher numbers.
>
> I don't think that's true.  They're date ordered and the date is when
> the patch was recording, not when it was added to this repo, so
> introducing a patch written six months ago will bump lots of numbers on
> by one.

Hmm, no.  Patches in a repo are kept in the order they are
added (pulled/recorded) to the repo.  Only if a patch is
removed all the succeeding patches will have their place
(and number) decreased.  And darcs changes shows the patches
in this (but reversed) order.

But numbers will be different in different branches, and
some day darcs will stop to preserve the order, although
it will probably not reorder patches often since it is just
unnecessary work.