[darcs-users] Bitkeeper and Eclipse questions

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Sun Mar 20 20:07:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Sean Perry wrote:

> darcs *MUST* have a way to clean out the revision tree. There should be
> a way to get rid of 4 year old garbage. I am not saying darcs can not do
> it today, maybe it can. If it can, this ability should be very clearly
> spelled out in the docs.

Hmm, what I've learnt from Arch world is so called archive cycling. Simply
you use some archive and when at some point you find it too much polluted
with branches and patches, you branch the code to the new fresh archive.
That way you clean branches which you don't need anymore, but you still
have a reference where to go to see a changes done in a history, i.e. you
don't lose your project history, since you can keep such archives as your
storage permit.

With darcs you can use something similar, but do clean import from your
overloaded darcs archive and in a import changelog point to your old darcs
repository. That way anybody will be able to track your project history.
Also maybe good idea is that before such import you do `darcs changes >>
ChangeLog.<repo name>' in your old repository so even in your new repo you
will be able to at least look into your old repo changes.

Cheers,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com