[darcs-users] Re: should 'changes' be renamed 'log'? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Mar 20 21:26:47 UTC 2005

As my computer was crashing, I thought of another idea for helping CVS
users who are looking for 'log' or 'commit'. (I also just sent a patch
which I think improves the description of 'changes').

I'm not a fan of aliases, but I agree with some of Schwern's reasoning
about their values.

One idea: "hints". This would be a hidden feature that would give
a helpful suggestion if you tried 'commit' or 'log':

 $ darcs commit
 'commit' is not a valid darcs sub-command. Instead, try 'record'
 to record a change locally, then 'push' or 'send' to send it to
 a remote repo. See 'darcs help' for further help.

 $ darcs log
 'log' is not a valid darcs-subcommand. Your probably want 'darcs
 changes'. See 'darcs help' for further help.

Another idea: "darcs --cvs-help". This option would be visible in the
output of "darcs -h" and would be described as "Help for CVS users".
When called, it would output a version of the CVS->darcs conversion
chart.

###

With these options, we make it easier for new users to learn darcs,
while preserving the single, simple existing command set that many darcs
users prefer.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/