[darcs-users] should we support .darcs too? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun Mar 20 21:36:37 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:17:01AM -0800, Julian Snitow wrote:
> I like being able to type a default `ls' and immediately see that a
> directory is also a darcs repository, without having to muck around
> with my shell's settings. Seeing _darcs is a friendly reminder that
> says, "I am your own personal branch of project FOO, not some puny
> distribution directory!"

Yeah, I've seen that argument.  I don't buy it.  I've never forgotten that
a directory is under version control.  I don't know anyone who has.
And its just "ls .darcs" to check.

And then there are those cases where I *want* to forget that its under
version control.  If, as I'm currently doing using subversion, I want to
put a repository checkout straight into /var/www on a web server. [1]
I want the fact that its a checkout to be hidden from normal users.
Then I can diff and see who's been naughty and edited the production files.
:)

But so far these are very small problems.  I'm still waiting for my initial
"yuck" factor to wear off.

[1] Yes, whether using a version control system for distribution is a good
idea or not is a whole nother arugument, but its done.