[darcs-users] Locking

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Mar 20 21:13:13 UTC 2005

> Does darcs do any kind of locking (flock) when sending patches? E.g.
> what happens when 2 users concurrently send patches?

Darcs uses a lockfile to avoid multiple write accesses to the same
repository.  The locking strategy used by Darcs is believed to be safe
against race conditions:

 - on local filesystems, under both Unix and Windows;
 - on NFS mounts (even NFSv2), under Unix but not necessarily Windows.

I do not know whether our locking strategy is safe on SMB mounts; I
believe it depends on the details of the SMB implementation.

                                        Juliusz