[darcs-users] Why Bitkeeper still wins

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Mar 20 21:26:31 UTC 2005

> I would be happy if darcs had a way to declare a file/directory
> *really* gone. No need to keep some of the dead items around.

No can do in general -- a single patch might span multiple
directories.

If no patch spans multiple directories, you could simply unpull all
the patches that touch the directory you want to get rid of.  However,
this will rarely happen in practice: in my case, the ``initial
import'' patch spans the whole tree.

This could be solved if we had a way to split patches -- but for that
to commute with commuting, you need the additional metadata I was
speaking about.

> A nice feature would be "this darcs tree has revision from current
> back to date N".

Oh, that's already there.  See |darcs optimize --checkpoint| and
|darcs get --partial|.

Note that for any merge you'll need to have history up to the common
ancestor.

                                        Juliusz