[darcs-users] darcs annotate format obscures the code

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Sun Mar 20 22:11:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 05:50:41AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> 00001: #!/bin/sh
> 00002: echo this is only a test
> 00001: exit 0
>
> END OF FILE (but this message is still part of the annotate output
>
> 00001: Sun Oct 20 20:01:05 EDT 2002  droundy at abridgegame.org
>   * Initial version of stupid example.
>
> 00002: Sun Oct 20 20:01:15 EDT 2002  droundy at abridgegame.org
>   * Explain to the user that this is just a test.
>
> Thus we would give the entire messages at the bottom along with unique
> identifiers of some sort, and we'd have a very compact and readable
> representation of the actual code.

If you mean literally one output stream/file where the code is at the
front and the log is at the bottom...  Now in order to figure out why line
245 was changed I have to jump to another point in the file, read that, and
jump back.  I can't see the code and the log message at the same time. :(

There has to be two separate streams of information so I can see the
code and the reason simultaneously.