[darcs-users] should we support .darcs too? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Julian Snitow jsnitow at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 01:44:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:36:37 -0800, Michael G Schwern <schwern at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:17:01AM -0800, Julian Snitow wrote:
> > I like being able to type a default `ls' and immediately see that a
> > directory is also a darcs repository, without having to muck around
> > with my shell's settings. Seeing _darcs is a friendly reminder that
> > says, "I am your own personal branch of project FOO, not some puny
> > distribution directory!"
>
> Yeah, I've seen that argument.  I don't buy it.  I've never forgotten that
> a directory is under version control.  I don't know anyone who has.
> And its just "ls .darcs" to check.
>
> And then there are those cases where I *want* to forget that its under
> version control.  If, as I'm currently doing using subversion, I want to
> put a repository checkout straight into /var/www on a web server. [1]
> I want the fact that its a checkout to be hidden from normal users.

On the other hand, I like being able to instantly know when I can
`darcs get' a directory online.  It's like an invitation to get,
modify, and `darcs send' useful stuff back to the maintainer.  You
know, the sort of things that makes darcs so

If you don't want users to treat it as a repository, use `darcs dist'
to make a snapshot tarball, and use that instead.  If you just want to
have a nice, clean repository online, with only the code you're proud
of, then `darcs push' to it, and cherry-pick your patches.

<snip>

> But so far these are very small problems.  I'm still waiting for my initial
> "yuck" factor to wear off.

For me, _darcs is a "yum" factor.

You have a consistent face for your repository whether it's on *nix,
the web, or Windows, you can instantly recognize when someone else has
published their repository for your benefit, it stands out (and you
can always tell whether a directory is the top of a sub-repository, or
just a subdirectory of a higher repository), it keeps things simple,
it doesn't break anything, and the soundest argument against it is
aesthetic (and a disputed aesthetic, at that!).

Julian