[darcs-users] example of annotate.py alternative output

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Mar 21 02:11:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 05:41:21PM -0800, Kannan Goundan wrote:
> Mark Stossberg wrote:
>
> >   autrijusa3: #!/usr/bin/perl
> >               use strict;
> > perl6-comp12: use warnings;
>
> [snip]
>
> > I bet I can guess what's happening here: The lines with patch ideas
>
> > next them to are indicating the last patch to change the line. The
> > lines with no token next them have always been there.
>
> Actually, lines with no token are from the same patch as the previous
> line.  The first two lines are from the "autrijusa3" patch.

Oh. How about the notation for "ditto", which is sometimes reduced to
a single double quote.

>   autrijusa3: #!/usr/bin/perl
>        "      use strict;
> perl6-comp12: use warnings;

I don't know if that make sense visually or not.

I've learned this from being a mutt user though: I first thought it was
"mistake" when I see that follow up identical subject lines where
invisible.

Now I see that as a definite feature. Mutt indicates with an arrow that
the message is a follow-up in the thread, and repeating the same subject
twice would be visual clutter.

So I like the idea of not repeating the name.

Another idea would be use carets that point up to the name above it:

>   autrijusa3: #!/usr/bin/perl
>        ^      use strict;
>        ^      use foo;
>        ^      use zoo;