[darcs-users] .darcs is portable

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 07:37:02 UTC 2005

Just to make a point of fact, I've seen it repeated here a few times that
having a .darcs/ directory would introduce a problem under Windows.  I can
tell you that it would not.  Windows has no problem with .foo style files
and directories.  The Windows Explorer will protest when you try to
rename a directory that way, but it will happily access and display one
created by smarter program.

FWIW I can't think of a modern operating system which would have a problem
with .darcs/ unless you want try porting darcs to ancient 8.3 DOS
filesystems in which case you've got bigger problems.  Even VMS handles it
just fine (and I checked :)

Still don't know if .darcs is worth the trouble... just reporting the facts.