[darcs-users] should 'changes' be renamed 'log'? (was: Re: SchwernLikesDarcs SchwernHatesDarcs)

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Mon Mar 21 09:10:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:51:52PM +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > > You already have a large population of people who are comfortable with
> > > certain terminology (CVS/SVN users).  Leverage that.  This makes things
> > > easier.
> >
> > IMHO this is not the best way for darcs and its users. The biggest problem
> > is that users of central repository based SCMs are 1) quite confused by
> > new functionality and terminology of advanced distributed SCMs and 2) more
> > generally, people migrating from one system to another often complain
> > about a need for learning something new.
>
> This would be a problem IF I was talking about emulating the full CVS
> command set.  I'm just talking about the change log command.  Moderation.

But is this really worth the effort? i.e. Isn't the best option to add
`cvs log --> darcs changes' row into the chapter `Switching from CVS' of
darcs's manual?
http://www.abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node2.html#SECTION00220000000000000000

IMHO that's where such description belongs.

> I'm not *really* comparing darcs to CVS, I'm just thinking that way as an
> exercise to hopefully help smooth the way for CVS users following on.

I think the best solution here, is tune `Switching from CVS' manual. I
hope every user comming to darcs is able to read simple table and perhaps
stick it somewhere for the command reference.

Anyway, please don't take my notes wrong. I think everybody in darcs
community appreciate your input about CVS->darcs migration points. That's
just me being a bit conservative about changes in darcs UI, when I think
they do not bring anything useful :-)

Cheers,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com