[darcs-users] Re: .darcs is portable

Peter Hercek peter at syncad.com
Mon Mar 21 10:27:38 UTC 2005

Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Just to make a point of fact, I've seen it repeated here a few times that
> having a .darcs/ directory would introduce a problem under Windows.  I can
> tell you that it would not.  Windows has no problem with .foo style files
> and directories.  The Windows Explorer will protest when you try to
> rename a directory that way, but it will happily access and display one
> created by smarter program.
>
> FWIW I can't think of a modern operating system which would have a problem
> with .darcs/ unless you want try porting darcs to ancient 8.3 DOS
> filesystems in which case you've got bigger problems.  Even VMS handles it
> just fine (and I checked :)
>
> Still don't know if .darcs is worth the trouble... just reporting the facts.

I would like .darcs more, but to amend the facts here is an excerpt from
  tortoise svn download page (I do not know if the problem is related to
  .svn or to any directory name starting with a dot):

uses _svn folders instead of .svn to work around the VS.NET bug with web
projects. If you don't use web projects then please use the official version.