[darcs-users] darcs annotate format obscures the code

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 10:46:34 UTC 2005

Hi Michael,

Michael Conrad wrote:
> So, I'm getting this feeling like nobody ever read my post in
> mid-february... the lack of replies had me wondering that already ;-)
> I was just going to write it up myself sometime, but I'm still short
> on free time.  For anyone who would like to read it:
> http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2005-February/005455.html
>
> Basically, I think we CAN get a version number for each revision, and
> rather easily, too.  It would be the perfect thing to display on an
> annotation.  A person could then cross-reference the version number
> using "darcs query version <x>", or we could even write them in the
> 'changes' output for grep to find.

Nice post.  I think a repo-private integer for each `change' is do-able
as you say.  I'm not sure it's worth restarting at 1 on a tag, or
confusing it with getting `x.y.z' version numbers.  If numbers are ever
deleted, e.g. 42 is no longer used, then an explicit command to `pack'
the numbers back down, i.e. make then contiguous from 1, would be
useful.

Cheers,

Ralph.