[darcs-users] Why Bitkeeper still wins

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Mar 21 18:58:03 UTC 2005

>> Ahem...  Everything is much, much easier in a centralised universe.
>> Arch and Darcs are currently the only hopes of the Free World.

> Don't forget Codeville and Monotone.

Monotone is interesting.  It shares some of the more innovative
features of Darcs, notably the fact that a patch has a globally unique
identifier and that a repository may contain a conflict (a ``divergence''
 in Monotone parlance).  I was less impressed by the way Monotone
handles merging (sorry, I forget the details), and by the ``binary all
the way through'' approach: binary on-disk format, binary patch
interchange protocol.

I don't want to start a religious war (so please don't reply to this
troll), but Monotone is written in C++.

I tried to look at Codeville, but couldn't find any documentation that
could give me an idea of the underlying data model.  I didn't read the
sources, as I'm not particularly proficient at reading Python.  If you
have pointers to documentation about Codeville's data structures to
point me to, I'm interested.

                                        Juliusz