[darcs-users] Why Bitkeeper still wins

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:26:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:17:58 +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek
<Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> >> It was my understanding that it's just Arch without the silly naming
> >> conventions.
>
> > Wrong.
>
> > Bazaar is a tla-fork to make it better to use.
> > Bazaar-ng is a totally new project. Has nothing to do with arch/tla at
> > all.
>
> I am aware that Bazaar-ng is a complete rewrite in that other language
> with indentation-sensitive syntax.  However, I understand it is to a
> great extent merely a rewrite.
>
> (The above is not a criticism -- there's nothing wrong with rewriting
> software, quite the opposite.  I'm eagerly waiting for that reimple-
> mentation of Darcs in Java that was promised on this list a few months
> ago.)

It's a new implementation of a new software. It's not a rewrite of
arch. It's not compatible with arch. It has nothing to do with arch.

> If there are any good ideas in Bazaar-ng that are not already present
> in Arch, please let us know (especially if you think they are worth
> steal^Wlearning from).

I'm following bazaar-ng quite alot. And so far it looks very promising
but it's not ready for use for anyone.  There is no way to even check
out a branch so far.

I think there are alot of things to learn from it. There are lot's of
documents on the bazaar-ng webpage. Take a look at it.

/Erik