[darcs-users] Why Bitkeeper still wins

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Tue Mar 22 15:02:45 UTC 2005

[sorry for the previous mail, I accidentally hit send..]

Hi Jamie,

Jamie Webb wrote:

>>>That depends on your definition of useful. The break in SHA1 is
>>>largely theoretical at this point.
>>>
>>ell, Bruce Schneier seems to say that it is definitely broken (as of
>>February 15, 2005):
>>

>Yes. It's broken, as I said. It now takes 2^69 ops to find a
>collision, rather than the 2^80 required for a brute force attack.
>
>[snip]
>
>In summary: feel free to object to Monotone. I don't use it either.
>But the fact that it currently uses SHA1 is not a sound reason.

Thanks for your sound explanation. I didn't realize that it was so much
harder to
find a collision for a specific given message. Seems that it is indeed
mostly of theoretical
importance -- certainly not for a version control system in the
foreseeable future.

All the best,
-- Daan.