[darcs-users] Re: Can I disable \xx quoting in record --interactive?

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Mar 22 18:10:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:16:01PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> TP> But still, it would be good if we could escape some control
> TP> characters even in raw mode, such as back space and especially
> TP> escape.
>
> Not really.  ISO 2022 based encodings use \033 sequence for
> switching character sets which you should not munge if you want
> to keep them human readable.

Encodings which use \033 sequences will always be vulnerable
to spoofs, unless darcs knows to separate some \033 sequence
from others.  Encodings which switch between character sets
will also be problematic for darcs unless it knows how to
track what character set is active when it outputs single
lines from a larger block of text.  The latter can not be
fixed by just turning of escaping.

That's why I (in the long run) want to move the encoding part
out of darcs.  There was a discussion about how to handle
different line endings in darcs, and one suggestion (that I
think got fairly accepted) was to (optionally) convert to and
from a given type of EOL whenever darcs reads and writes the
working files.  If darcs was made UTF8 aware the same method
could be used to convert (with an external tool like iconv)
from a local encoding to UTF8, used internally in darcs, and
back to local encoding again when writing.  The conversions
would need to affect all input and output, both to files and
to the terminal.  If it was implemented as a general filter
it could probably do other interesting things as well.

It however requires that all files in a repo have the same
encoding (and type of EOL).  Supporting different encodings
in different files requires more work.

> I am inclined to say that darcs should not be reinventing $PAGER
> anyway.  The simplest would be to just pipe the patch in the raw
> form to $PAGER and have $PAGER worry about it.  Or at least make
> such an option (keeping the current \xx quoting, with your
> recent "\r\n" fix, as the default).  How does that sound?

Something *is* definitely needed so people can use darcs with
their local encodings.  I have proposed a way to gradually
decrease the amount of escaping, all the way to no escaping
at all.  The problem with this proposal, as I see it, is that
it requires too much knowledge from the users.  It is easy
to see that things starts working when you turn off escaping,
but that doesn't make random user aware of the risks.