[darcs-users] Darcs and a single developer working on multiple workstations

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 01:22:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:12:48AM -0300, Marcus Brito wrote:
> The problem here is keeping both workstations sync'ed. At home, I'm
> free to connect to any host, and I'm not behind a firewall. I have
> access to a FTP site which can later be accessed as HTTP. At work, I'm
> behind draconian firewalls which won't let me connect to anything else
> but HTTP, and even then, only through a complicated chain of
> authenticated proxies. Browsers usually deal OK with these proxies,
> but everything else usually has trouble with them.
>
> Would darcs help me to work on this setup? If yes, how would be the
> best way to handle to keep the two workstations synchronized?

[caveat, I'm a fairly new darcs user]

Short answer: yes.  And this should cover how to keep in sync.
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node4.html

This doesn't hurt either.
http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/GettingStarted

Longer answer:

darcs works over plain, dumb HTTP and also SSH (and probably FTP).  So what
you'd do is put your main darcs repository up on your FTP/HTTP site.
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node4.html#SECTION00430000000000000000

Then you can "darcs get http://your.domain/your/repository" on whatever machine
you like to "checkout" a copy.
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node4.html#SECTION00440000000000000000

If you need to use a proxy there is DARCS_PROXYUSERPWD.
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node5.html#SECTION00520090000000000000

As for keeping them in sync, well that's where darcs excels as its designed
to be run distributed.  Each checkout is its own entire copy of the
repository (history and all) and changes are pushed and pulled around.  The
darcs manual explains it better than I can, but in short you record your
changes locally and then push them back to the master repository.  Other
repositories can then pull in any changes from the master.  Patches can be
pushed manually, via ssh or via email.
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/node4.html#SECTION00450000000000000000